I really don’t have much to add so far. Week 2 ended yesterday with no real drama to speak of other than a customer having a heart attack while dining. I was on my way out when I was passed by a couple of EMTs with a stretcher. I didn’t stick around to see how the situation resolved. Hopefully the gentleman is alright. I’m sure I’ll find out tomorrow.
The
episode did bring back a sad memory of an older man who died on the sidewalk
right outside the door of the first restaurant I ever worked at. It was awful
seeing him lying motionless on the ground and no one could help him, his wife
sobbing while kneeling by his side.
And
on the same subject, a woman in her early 40’s died in one of the factories I
worked at too. The supervisors tried to resuscitate her but could not. She was
also just lying there without any kind of response. It was later concluded she
had a heart defect and was dead before she even hit the ground. It’s really
tragic and a bit frightening to think that in a split second, it can all be
over. Even though I hate my job, I do love life.
Anyways,
enough with the drivel. As I wrote before, there really isn’t any drama to
bitch about. All of the servers are either sweethearts or cool as hell. They
can all get spastic during the stressful times, but so does everyone else in
general. My fellow co-cooks, the few that exist, are really swell people too.
Since we are so ungodly understaffed, there isn’t a mass of idiots to piss me
off. I basically cook by myself until one of the two other day cooks comes in
for the day. There should actually be at least four more but this place can’t keep
competent help either. When I worked here last time there were eight of us just to
cover the morning shifts, and we’d still run short once in awhile.
There are some really retarded changes that
the all-knowing corporate dumb shits decided to switch around that make it even
harder to do an already incredibility difficult job. Last time I was here it
was a privately owned franchise so we had plenty of wiggle room on how we chose
to do certain things so long as we followed the core principles. Now it’s run
by people who make the policies and really have no idea how to do the jobs as
efficiently as a veteran.
One
thing that really annoys me is how we are required to cook at all times when
there are only two cooks on. I briefly explained our kitchen set up in the last
post; it’s essentially two lines in one, just mirrored. Back in the day, there
would be two and sometimes three of us on the one side of the line. This worked
exceedingly well as we could cover all the stations with ease and hammer out
some serious food. Everyone could back each other up if need be. Now it’s
corporate policy that if there are only two cooks working, there has to be one
on each side with both cooking solo. It’s so stupid.
Two
good cooks can easily pound out considerably more food and in much quicker time
with double the tickets on one side. But no, let’s make it harder because they
think it’s more efficient. That part really pisses me off. In theory it sounds
like a good idea, but in reality it doesn’t work at all, but they apparently
refuse to believe so, therefore that’s how we have to do it. If any of those
dickheads would actually test it out, they would see it blows and food ends up
taking longer.
Another
thing is that some people work fine solo or with a teammate, while others are
terrible solo and only good with a teammate. So when you get a partner that
sucks ass by himself or herself, you have to pick up the extra slack from the
other side and it increases you workload by volumes. It’s much easier to help
out a person who is right beside you than running back and forth to the other
side to help start food, plate, or even to just take tickets from their
printer. I’ve tried to squeeze that rule aside and the moment a manager sees
two of us cooking together, they break that shit up immediately. So I’ve
successfully tested that law and it is indeed set in stone.
An
additional bitch of mine is the smoke break routine. Yeah, I know it’s a
disgusting habit and I’m actually trying to cut back and eventually quit. As
I’ve stated many times before, I just need like maybe three to four minutes to
grab a few puffs and get away from the evil printers and then I’m good to go
for hours on end. We can no longer use the back doors (there are two) to go
outside. They have to remain closed and locked unless you’re taking out garbage
or there is an incoming delivery. Some assholes messed this up because they
were going out to smoke sometimes twice an hour so now that’s policy too, and
they don’t even work here anymore.
So
now we have to go through the pantry, out into the dining room, through the
waiting area, and then eventually out the door leading to sweet freedom. After
another two minute trek around the building you finally reach the employee
parking lot, where we are allowed to smoke. Said parking lot is all of five
feet away from one of the back doors. You could go out to smoke and be back
within literally three minutes if we were granted access, but nope.
The
other thing that sucks about this ordeal is sometimes you have to plow through
like fifty people standing in the waiting area, all the way though the doorway,
and piled up down the sidewalk for about twenty feet, all wanting a table. I
always put on a smile to seem friendly while walking past customers and hold the
door open on my way out, but if it’s been a busy morning/day, my uniform is
generally covered in all of the shit that was flying around throughout the
shift, and that just can’t look good. No to mention I smell like smoke and
grease within an hour of entering the kitchen, so I’m sure that is offensive as
well.
The
other day I made eye contact with an older bird. I was reaching to open the
door for her and the bitch rams me with it and just looks at me with a scowl on
her face and walks by. I wanted to put her head through the fucking glass, but
of course it was only a fantasy which would never come to be realized. I’m sure
she complained about her food or something too, dumb cunt. Hit me with a door
when I’m not working you old bat and you may trip and fall down, probably not
but I can dream, plus I could have at least yelled at her. Some people just
don’t deserve to live. How servers deal with people like this on a daily basis
I will never know.
Anyways,
so rather than just hop out and back in super quickly, it’s a task to get out
and back in. Normally I will just go out right before the rush begins and then
that’s it for the day. I’m tired of trying to meander through the sea of
patrons both ways. So I’ve accepted that fact also.
So
far, the only time I’ve been pissed off at a co-worker is when we were getting
creamed all damn day and there was a super tiny lull in the orders. He told me
to hurry up and go smoke. I declined after I looked out into the entry way and
seen it was packed wall to wall. I told him to go ahead and that I’ll just wait
until I get off for the day, hopefully six hours from then. This dude is a
faster smoker than me and he has always understood the sense of urgency to get
your ass back to the line because we are about to get crushed at any given
moment. This doesn’t dawn on him this time for some reason.
He
first goes to the bathroom to take a dump. Yeah, gross. Do that shit (pun
intended) at home. I can understand if someone needs to take a quick piss but
not plop down on the pot for ten minutes in a community toilet. That’s just
disgusting, but maybe that’s just me. After his discharge, he asks me if he can
use my lighter. Fucker better had washed his hands. I hastily give it to him
and tell him to hurry up. Ten more minutes pass by and I’m getting so backed up
with orders there is no way I can drop all of the food. He comes back in
laughing and goofing around with one of the waitresses. Fuckin’ dickhead. Now we
are completely buried and we’re both one step behind for the next four hours or
so. That one little instance fucked us up entirely. It’s bad enough that you
always, and I mean always, have a few orders throughout the whole shift. You
literally never stop cooking until someone takes over for you and you can go
for the day. It sucks immensely more when you don’t do your best to ensure you
can keep up. Playing “catch up” is nearly impossible during the busy times. So
that completely ruined my day.
I
leave for the day, again squeezing through loyal patrons and around the
building into the parking lot, and I finally reach my vehicle and whip out a
smoke. Ah, finally, after nearly seven hours of being smokeless, here comes
sweet relief. I go to retrieve my lighter out of my pocket and it is missing!
Oh my fucking God! That butthole didn’t give it back to me! Argh!! Now I have
to make a choice of trying to crawl through the mob of people to get my lighter
or just suffer on my twenty minute commute home.
If
you don’t have the misfortune of making the horrible choice to start smoking
you won’t understand the dilemma. When I leave for the day, the first thought
in my brain is that I finally get to smoke a cig. Now when this thought pops
into your mind, you cannot get it out of your head until you’ve had that evil
cigarette. So it’s maddening to a smoker when it gets delayed even just a
little bit, and even more infuriating when it’s because of a co-worker that
borrowed your lighter and didn’t return it and coincidentally previously had
already ruined your day. I decide to just suck it up and curse his name on my
drive home. Twenty minutes later I receive my toxic chemicals and all is right
in the world again, if even for only that short while.
Well
I guess it’s not hard for me to find something to bitch about after all. I’ll try to update more often if
the chance arises. It’s just the constant barrage of orders takes all of my
energy and I’m so damn tired when I get home. I don’t get a break and never sit
down so I don’t eat and it’s actually a challenge some days to get a glass of
water. There’s just no time. The place is so busy that it’s a non-stop race
each and every day. Every bit of slow time you have is used to restock or prep
your items and clean. It’s quite overwhelming at times but here I am anyways.
I’m going to end this here before it gets any longer and go enjoy the rest of
my day off. Until next time, in another day in the life of a line cook.
No comments:
Post a Comment