Monday, October 14, 2013

Another decent week in terms of business. Everything else, not so much.

I decided to travel back to my home city tonight as I was missing my family and doggies. I still haven't sold the home I purchased before this blog existed, and I believe it's because I don't really want to. I do love my hometown fully and maybe I'm scared to completely commit myself to a move I need to do eventually. There are so many wonderful memories I'm afraid I'd leave behind here, without the actuality of presence. I know that might sound odd to you all, but there is always a past to every single thing.

Anyways. It really hasn't sank in yet that I'm the guy making the money, taking the financial hits, and calling all of the shots. I still do all of the bookwork, though still see it as a separate entity. I'm used to someone else being my superior, though now, I'm the be-all-end-all guy. It's really weird. I've been in upper management positions but I've always had a boss above me. Now, it is me. It's still hard to get used to that. The biggest oddity is that my business partner sees thing way differently than me.

We had such a weird exchange the other night. When I see tickets to cook, I focus on the items and how I'm going to get them to the customer with total satisfaction. When he sees the tickets, he adds the item prices in his mind, and there else after. I was saying to him, "Wow, lots of full racks and prime rib tonight, huh?" I was reaching for a compliment because those were my special creations. His reply was, "Yeah! The half chicken was changed to the prime rib so that's an extra $10 to that plate!" That really surprised me.

Even though he pledged to not become a $ Nazi, he's slowly degrading into one. The funny thing is that he has no idea, other than what I show him, is our sales and projected profit.  We have no substantial reports yet as we're in our first month, but I see him frequently look at the POS report just to see some numbers.

It's a bit humorous though. He only looks at cash and checks, never even considers credit cards; which are an extreme income in real-time reports. I played a prank on him just yesterday and showed him a bank deposit receipt that I found from the same bank as ours. I found it laying on the ground in our restaurant. This is a lesson to you all; hold onto your bank transaction slips like they are your social security card. It paints a nice picture of your financial strength and/or weakness in a nice and simple form from that account.

I picked up the slip, reviewed it, and had a beautiful thought of how I'd test him to see if he actually paid attention to our books. I had just showed him our account balance hours earlier that day and we were sailing like no other. He went out for about a half an hour so I folded back the name on the slip and circled the deposit and withdrawal amounts including the current balance. I labeled one deposit credit to sales revenue debit to checking and then the other to credit checking debit to till cash. I then laid it out where I knew he'd see it and left for an hour.

When I came back, he had these slips in his hands and was asking me if these were correct. I said, "Well, yeah. It's going to be a tough week, that's why I didn't want you to order too heavy." He was getting panicked and said, "Can we make a deposit on Monday right away!" I almost burst out of my skin laughing and unfolded the paper and pointed to the name on the slips. He didn't get it. I then said, "Look at the name." He then started laughing like a madman and was relieved. I told him this story I just told all of you and he was fine with it.

I had just shown him (not going to go into monetary amounts here) A LOT of positive revenue in our checking account only hours earlier. And when he seen some dumb piece of paper with my scribbles he believed we were basically bankrupt.

I hope this isn't a sign to come. I embarked upon this adventure to make myself satisfied. I'm okay with money if need be with a boring job. I'm working my ass off because the feeling of making others happy with a food creation of my own is really outstanding to me. I like being mentally busy with un-mundane (is that even a word) tasks, plus it is physically exhausting. I just love it, in most parts...I think he's the same way still, though has never seen this kind of income before in his life, so I'll give him the benefit of that doubt.

It was another decent week in terms of business. Everything else, not so much (personally). I would be a fool to post personal drivel though. Ah, crap...my time is up as I'm going to bed. There was some restaurant drama too that I did intend to post. Maybe tomorrow before I head back or possibly next week when I'm forced to come back. Either way...Thanks for reading.

In another day in the life of a line cook.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing the drama! Wouldn't mind the personal drivel either ;) And we never did get to hear the end of your other story, from before you went on hiatus!
    -Christy

    ReplyDelete