Saturday, August 8, 2015

Little of this, little of that.

Yup, I'm still going to bitch a little bit about Cletus. After all, he's the most significant reason I chose to leave my restaurant and bar. I offered him buyouts on 3 separate occasions, though he had absolutely no other place to go, his words. I would tell him all the things he could do with that kind of money but he was finally comfortable with his working situation. Wow, I guess I would have been too had I been leeching off another and sharing equal profits the whole time. Don't get me wrong, he and his significant other did bring this opportunity to me, but because they couldn't do it alone. He flat out told me that he wouldn't even try to do it by himself. I built a successful restaurant and bar with minimal help, though I did owe them the chance. Even before we opened, I gave them a $5,000.00 cash for a finder's fee. That was my way of saying thanks, and now we're even! But nope not to them.

Anyways, I will focus more on my new place with this post. It's nothing short of amazing. I know I bragged the last place I set up camp at, though this one is right on par, except I don't rent anything, I own it all! The sale included the property, building, and all assets. And I got it cheap, like 25% of the fair market value. The owners just want to be done with it, no if, ands, or buts. They finally closed the doors to the public last fall because they just didn't have the time or want to keep it open. They are very "well off" judging by their home(s) and vehicles. They just want to move down south and retire.
They've had several bites though no one that could pull the trigger. The owners renovated the whole building less than 10 years ago and it is absolutely beautiful. There is a main section for seating out front, a secondary overflow, and another separated area specifically for catered events and whatnot. That area also can provide bar overflow. It seats roughly 150 people altogether. Plus there is an area outside that can be easily set up for events or even just outdoor seating.
I was somewhat bitter having to leave that other cesspool, but karma is indeed accurate. I can loan 400% of what I paid for the business if I want/need to. That's an amazing cushion should I ever want to add or alter. Hell, in 3 years it would be paid for as a rental. I'm still a bit blown away at my good fortune. Also, as we were going over the financial data from years prior, this place dwarfed the old one I created. We are talking over 300% in the bar and over 200% in the restaurant. There are even significant expenses the old owners had that I can eliminate with no problem. I'm just very grateful to be given this opportunity and be rid of the scum I had to endure for a year in my last venture. Another thing I had to learn the hard way, I will never have another controlling partner. The last guy was such a scrub that I would never turn over more than 49% to anyone, and I mean anyone, so long as I still had interest.
The building also has a fully functional basement and upstairs, same as the last, and a heaven-sent elevator! I would have cut off my partner's hands for an elevator in the last place. The upstairs still needs some TLC but that will be in the future. I have so many plans for this place. The owners also signed on for 2 months as a transition phase which is so beneficial. The community adores them and it gives me a chance to get to know everyone with some help. I already have a General Manager ready to move her family whenever I get the place going, which will hopefully be in October at some point.
That's it for now, until another day in the life of a line cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment