Friday, August 14, 2015

Trouble abrewing for some. A new horizon for yours truly.

So I received and interesting phone call this week. It was the president of the board that owns the building that I used to co-operate our restaurant and bar out of. It seems my ex-business partner is being naughty. He wouldn't go into specifics, though said the board was going to take a vote on evicting him next week. He asked me if I'd be willing to come back and sign a new lease and operate the restaurant and bar. That they would be willing to work with me on negotiating new conditions such as term, rent rate, etc. Even though I just purchased this new place, I'm still going to go meet with the board just to see what's up. Plus, I've really missed them all. A few hours one day is no big deal. I suppose I always have the option to maybe run 2? Ha! Probably not but we'll see. I still have a little time before I take legal possession of my new joint, so why not, right?

The best part would be watching Cletus slime his way out. I would give him exactly zero dollars for the business and probably not even purchase any of his assets or inventory. He'd just be out on his ass and have to start all over. How sweet it would be. I got a comfortable buyout, enough to purchase another place and then some, and a year later he gets the boot. I'm guessing he was finally caught doing drugs or did something stupid when he was drinking. The possibilities are endless with that toolbag. Would also be eternally sweet to throw it in his pork chop wife's face too. I don't think I've ever met a more two-faced (and triple-chinned), manipulating, devil woman before. The revenge, or should I say justice, would be fantastic! More on that as time progresses.
I am planning on making a trip to scout out 1 of my 2 main competitors next weekend. The research I've done so far has proven nothing impressive. They have an immaculate building that can hold a shit ton of people, but as far as online details and the menu I happened to pilfer, I'm not overly worried. It's just basic restaurant food, nothing special. They run items as specials that I can and will have on my core menu. The owner has a 4 year degree in nutrition but no real-world restaurant or bar experience, which is a plus for me. It's been open for a few years only and I'm quite sure they have learned a lot already, but I confidently believe I will give them a good run for their money. I mean, I fully support competition. It forces a business to become more refined, focused, and educated. If not, they won't succeed.
Imagine a world with only Walmarts, well it's steering that way, but you see my point. No competition equals no consumer choice and higher prices. You buy what the fuck we say and pay how much ever we demand because you have no other options. I know, getting off topic here. Anyways, I welcome competition. What impressed the board in my last venture was when I told them after the other place went out of business and we were approached about how we'd feel if another opened up. I blatantly said, and fucking meant every word,  "I don't want people coming here because they have no other option. I want them coming here because they WANT and CHOOSE to over another." That is exactly how I still feel. I slowly became bitter and my attitude grew in hatred about the food service industry. I always strived to perform to the best of my ability though was missing the "passion" other workers possessed. Working for myself, doing what I want and believe in, seeing it succeed beyond my expectations, witnessing firsthand the smiling and laughing people have a blast on a night out at something I created is so rewarding, truly.
Alright. This is turning sappy and out of focus for the time being, so I'll end this here. I'll keep you all updated on Cletus' potential, and well deserved, doom......in another day in the life of a line cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment