Monday, May 13, 2013

A fork in the road.


Well, I arrived back home this morning after a well needed three day vacation. I had a blast and was particularly thrilled that I was able to avoid the most dreaded day in the foodservice industry, at least to many; Mother’s Day. I don’t know, I normally enjoyed the holiday because I love it when it’s busy. Time passes by so fast, and as long as you have a competent staff, everything goes smoothly. I can only imagine the stories I will hear when I go in later today, mostly because a significant percentage of the kitchen staff isn’t very competent, what’s left of it anyways. So all in all, I’m glad I was able to skip this year’s fiasco.

I noticed an ad in the local newspaper that we are currently hiring four cooks, six servers, two bartenders, two dishwashers, and three hosts. Hmm, that sounds a bit desperate. I wonder why? I would change the ad to six cooks as two of our current ones are definitely dead weight. I suppose desperate times do call for desperate measures though so we need to take what we can get. So, I can now look forward to training any new hires to the kitchen, which I do like as it gives me an opportunity to teach them my way and to see firsthand if they are going to work out. My hopes are exceedingly low, however.

I received a phone call, out of the blue, from an old employer last night. He left a message and I called him back shortly ago. It was from the restaurant that made me swear off ever working in this industry again as stated in my very first post. It was really nice to hear from this guy as we always got along in and outside of work. He was an excellent cook, great worker and good guy all around. After we exchanged the usual pleasantries, he gives me a quick low down on what’s been going on there. He said he’s running the kitchen now and is desperate need for quality cooks, and he thought of me. How flattering. That means a lot, buddy, sincerely! He just wants someone they won’t have to really train and can hold down the line without having to be babysat. Shouldn’t every worker be able to handle that simple duty? Who am I kidding, look at what I have to currently work with.

Anyways, he keeps it short and basically wants to know if I would be willing to come in and interview with him and the GM. He knows how I felt about the place when I left (wished it would burn down) and said he was just putting it out there. I start to laugh and then he does too and says, “Yeah, that’s what I figured but I still wanted to ask.” I told him that I would come in anyway, just to see, plus it would be nice reminiscing with my old co-worker again. If anything, I can use this as more leverage with my current place of employment, especially after me being absent yesterday, even they would never admit that they regretted allowing me to have Mother’s Day off.

That’s the other thing, I don’t think the KM realized the days off I requested fell on Mother’s Day weekend. He never had a problem with it until two weeks later and then asked me to reconsider. Of course I would not. How dumb are you? Wait, never mind. The GM asked me also, like my answer was going to be any different. The funny part is when he said, “That’s okay. We’ll be just fine without you.” Um, no you won’t, that's why you asked dipshit, but go ahead and act like you don’t need me. I’m really okay with that. My superiors are so tactful! He didn’t get what he wanted so he insults me. Love you too! And you guys wonder why I’m not a team player anymore.

So anyways, I have an interview with my old restaurant in a few hours. I’m not thinking anything will come of it, though why turn down any other opportunity that comes my way. There are still a lot of people out there that can’t find work and I’m lucky enough to have another offer when others can’t even get one. I already know what I’m going to say to start it off. I’m going to tell them what will make it work for me this time around with no exceptions. If they can agree to it, I will definitely consider going back. If not, that’s cool too. Why waste their and my time pussyfooting around any topics. I’ll just be blunt and we’ll see what happens. Like I said before, at least this may help with some new beneficial adjustments with my current employer.

Another way I see it is that I already hate where I’m at so what’s the difference going from one hell to another if the perks and benefits are considerably better. Plus there will be probably an overflow of stories from this place. I will never run out of material, EVER. Each hour working there seemed to bring something unexpected. There was so much never ending drama, but perhaps it’s changed by now. AHAHAHAHA! Yeah, right.

I’m sure I’ll post later today if I get time between the interview and going into work tonight. If not, then likely in a day or so. Thinking about the old restaurant brought back some horrible memories I had probably forced out of my psyche, so on that note, I have a few more old tales to write about now. I’ll be sure to update you all soon, about another day in the life of a line cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment