Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Reflection.


Thinking back on my time spent at the previous restaurant made me realize the last four months were basically a complete waste. The only exception would be a couple of new friends I made. The rest was a huge disappointment. There were no perks or benefits other than half priced meals. Whoopee! I never really took any breaks unless made to do so, and I just wanted to get the hell out of there after my shift was over, so I never hung around to prepare anything for myself to take advantage. So I’m glad my time there was limited as I truly had no foreseeable future in any aspect of that business.

Don’t get me wrong, though. I am always grateful to be able to secure employment no matter the labor. It’s just a bummer that my chosen field isn’t generally available in my area, plus I’m in no position to move. There are so many more opportunities even just one hundred miles away. I’ve planted some very firm roots and I love my city, so I’m here to stay and will adjust accordingly.

The majority of this blog has been increasingly negative. Working in a restaurant kitchen isn’t always as horrific as I put down. There are “some” enjoyable aspects that I really do appreciate.

Cooking as a whole, I do like. Sure it can get hot and dirty. The stressors can really do a number on your mind, but the time flies by so fast that it’s amazing. I love that! There is always something else that can be done if tickets are slow. You can find virtually limitless things to keep you busy and there is very little watching the clock. I’ve worked at , and hated, places with so much down time or the work was so monotonous that it became absolutely mind numbing. I’ve been employed at several large companies with excellent pay and benefits and inevitably quit because the labor drove me to near insanity due to boredom. Some people would be happy making minimum wage sitting in a chair and staring at a wall for eight hours a day. I just wasn’t built that way.  I need to be challenged. I need to keep occupied. I love using my brain and overcoming obstacles. My most beloved job to date was a cooking position in a Ma and Pa establishment where I spent nearly a decade before they closed the doors for good.

Some places allow for creativity. Who doesn’t like trying new things and being adventurous? Well, I suppose there are some, but I like to think most people enjoy using their imagination and a chance at originality. The sky is the limit when it comes to food and it’s really satisfying when you can put your personality into a conception. It’s also very rewarding when other people get enjoyment out of your concoctions.

I love to dine out and even though this goes without saying, the meal is a crucial part of the overall dining experience. I thoroughly enjoy preparing excellent food that helps ensure a fellow human being has a pleasant experience. When someone tells me they loved their food, such as a perfectly cooked steak, I am absolutely thrilled, not necessarily because of the compliment, but I was able to provide a service that someone genuinely enjoyed. See, I’m not that bitter after all. =)

Wages can be exceedingly high. In one of the restaurants I worked at I made over double the median rate for the state I live in. The pay was incredible, even more so because I had no liabilities, but so was the stress. It’s still possible to make a good living just being a basic cook, so long as you are good at it and you’re devoted. You don’t have to take a management promotion to earn a higher pay rate. Often, you get abused with a salaried position because if there is no agreement, you get shafted on overtime, and boy oh boy, there is always expected overtime. When I was in upper management, I worked a minimum of fifty hours per week, which was totally fine, though there were many, many periods where I had to cover upwards and over ninety hours a week with no additional compensation.

The atmosphere is generally quite relaxed. I’ve never enjoyed wearing a suit and tie, like was required in an old job of mine. The environment was so stuffy and over the top conservative. I like being able to joke around and have fun with people without worrying about the most miniscule thing possibly being offensive or inappropriate. There are many more individuals with a sense of entitlement and that makes me sick. Sure I’ve met those types in food service too, but you can easily bring them down a peg or two, and it’s very fulfilling. Just because you have a fancy job and title doesn’t make you any better of a human being than the person making or serving you food. PERIOD! Thinking that way actually makes you worse.

Co-workers are a double-edged sword. They can either make or break the job. I understand that this is everywhere you go; however, food service has such a significant fluctuation in the classes of individuals that work there. My favorite part of working in this industry, by far, is the awesome people I have had the opportunity to work with. I’ve met absolutely incredible people from all walks of life. High school kids, college students, out of work professionals, adults who enjoy the business, retirees that just want something to do or a little supplemental income; the list is endless. There is no doubt in my mind that the food service industry has allowed me this honor of being able to see how truly magnificent people are. I’ve made countless friendships and been part of a camaraderie I haven’t found anywhere else. In the same light, I’ve met the most atrocious excuses humankind has to offer, though won’t elaborate any further this post, as I do want to keep it a rare happy one. =)

There is no doubt that the food service industry can indeed be a nightmare, and often is. There is always at least a small glimmering ray of sunshine hidden behind the clouds. Restaurant employment isn’t all bad and I just figured I post my positives rather than negatives for a change. I never imagined I’d be ending a post on a pleasant note, but I’m actually smiling as I reflect on the good things. Until next time, in another day in the life of a line cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment