I went in early this morning for a bit of a re-initiating. The moment I hit the kitchen, it felt like I had never left. I walked back into the baking and prep area and the smells were so familiar. It’s funny how closely the sense of smell and memory are related because I started having flashbacks once the air met my nose. It smelled quite wonderful, don’t get me wrong, though the reflection to a darker time was very off putting.
The
same bakery manager is there, plugging away with her pastries, such a comforting
sight. I call out, “Hey there!” with a smile on my face and she looks up. She
doesn’t seem particularly thrilled at my presence which surprises me because we
always got along very well, or so I recall. After prodding her for conversation
she seems to loosen up and we carry on a pleasant dialogue exchange. This lady
was, and likely is still, super hardcore. She’s pushing seventy years of age
and could run circles around most of the co-employees I’ve ever met in my life, at any job.
She was a ball of fire, plain and simple and I’ve always admired her work
ethic. After a couple of minutes of chit chat I ask her where the KM is. She
points to the walk-in cooler and I head over.
I
open the door and there is my old buddy from before. We were probably the two
cooks who fought through the most horrible shit this place had to offer
together. It just blows me away that he’s still here. We shake hands and he’s
got this huge grin on his face. He says to me, “No fuckin’ way! I wasn’t
actually sure you’d show up.” I laughed and said, “Yeah. I’m still not sure if
I will on Thursday.” He got a good chuckle out of that.
We
go over some basics and he tells me about how it’s been ever since I left. Not
good at all. He’s making me a bit apprehensive but I’m still going to give it a
shot and try my best to make it work. He mentioned that over the whole winter
up until a couple of weeks ago, he opened, did the prep work, dishes, and
cooked all by himself. Fuck that. No way, no how. I don’t care how much money
they paid me. It’s like you don’t apply for just being a cook, or prep, or dish
anymore. It’s all rolled into one now, which I find unacceptable. I told him
that will absolutely not work for me. I have a bad temper these days and a
short fuse. I wouldn’t make it long if that was still how the back operated. He
told me not to worry as they are staffed with preppers and dishwashers now.
Thank God. My glorious return almost ended before it began.
Apparently
he’s also been no stranger to quitting. He’s left and came back several times
because he said at one point he was ready to start stabbing people. He did
construction until a concrete slab crushed his leg and decided to return basically
to support his family and he’s been back for roughly sixteen months now.
He’s
busy with inventory and a big delivery is due in soon so we keep it short. He
gives me my gear and says, “Well, maybe I’ll see you Thursday but I’m sure you
won’t show up when you come to your senses.” I reply, “Probably not after all
of this sinks in over the next few days.” He bursts out laughing and we part
ways. At least we both still have our sense of humors.
What
also concerned me was when I walked through, the GM was taking customer orders,
cooking all the food, serving the items, and then helping the patrons at the
till. He’s doing everything. Jesus, that’s pushing it. I didn’t ask if it was
because of lack of employees or just because he wanted to keep labor down. I
really didn’t want to know. As far as I was told, I’ll be a lead cook just
working my shifts and going home; no extra drama or bullshit, and it better
remain true, the no bullshit part at least because the drama is inevitable.
After
thinking it over, the stories I was going to write about seem a bit lame. Most
likely because it’s been so long and I don’t remember the crisp and specific
details as I was able to just a day or two after the happenings with the last
restaurant. I’m sure there will be plenty to come, and if not, I’ll try to
hammer out a few old tales from memory the best I’m capable.
A
note to readers, if there still are any: I’m curious how you would react to
anything I have posted thus far over the entirety of the blog? Feel free to
comment on any information here or even if some of you have your own personal
horror stories. I’d love some more feedback and will reply to any comments,
even if you think I’m a douche bag. =) Since I’m unofficially unemployed until
Thursday, these next few days will be good ones in another day in the life of a
line cook.
How would I react to the stuff you've posted so far? Internally: the same as you! Externally: I don't know that I'd have the balls (metaphorically speaking.... since I'm a girl!) to stand up to these idiots like you have.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I've never worked in food service, but I've definitely worked with stupid people :) And I used to be in an IT support role, so there was plenty of frustration there. One of the classics: This person complains that a report is showing a wrong percentage for something. A score was 47 points out of 50, and that was a 94%. She tells me, "Usually when it's 47 points out of 50, that's a 97%." HUH???? How do you explain basic division to someone, or the concept that there's no "usually" in math?!
Haha! It's usually a 97%! How classic. Stupidity is most definitely not exclusive to food service. I've worked both blue-collar and white-collar jobs, and dumb people turn up everywhere. Great example though of how something so easy (elementary school math) still gives another person trouble. I'm sure I'd be pulling out my hair, too. I'm normally a fairly quiet and civil person, but you'd be surprised what you're capable of when pushed too far, especially if you hate the job. Also, you can get away with infinitely more in a restaurant kitchen than you ever could in the professional world. Had I done that in my last job, I would have been immediately fired, escorted off the premise by security, and would never be able to use that employment as a reference. ;)
DeleteOh, also, forgot to mention - I really enjoy reading your posts. There's only 2 blogs I read regularly, yours and Bitchy Waiter :) Your stories make me laugh and also shake my head in frustration on your behalf :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I'm glad you find the posts entertaining and enjoyable. The Bitchy Waiter is awesome! The content is intelligent and hilarious, so I'm a big fan also. Thanks for your comments!
DeleteEx-food truck worker here. My last job sucked because my supervisor didn't like the way I flirted with chicks to get tips. When he took orders and I first started working the grill, he tried getting a chick's number and got shut down! I teased him and he took it personally thus, making my life hell with yelling for no reason.
ReplyDeleteI just walked out one day and now I'm thinking of going legit instead of off the books.