The
last few days were fairly decent. You know, if I only had semi-intelligent
people to work with, this place would probably be excellent as far actual labor
goes. It’s always the retarded mongoloids who seem to ruin it. I have Epstein
singing and dancing while prepping, Gary just strolling around at his leisure
with his head up his ass, and another dude who seems terrified to step foot on
the line. He’s been there for two years now but takes any opportunity to
“hide”.
I’ve
seen him dip out of the kitchen to “check” on the meat smoking room, which
happens to be just outside the kitchen area, just because I’ll start to get
busy and he wants someone else to go up on line. I mean he will literally
disappear for fifteen minutes making sure that cooler is stocked and the room is
wiped down when there is absolutely no reason for it because the first guy off
does that as his cut work. I know exactly what he’s doing; he’s making himself
absent for just long enough to ensure he doesn’t have to cook. Oh my God, these
people.
Gary
told me that everything went very well on Mother’s Day. I heard just the
opposite from the servers though. Two of them welcomed me back on Monday and
said, “Man, we could have really used you on Sunday.” I reply back, “Really? Gary said it was
smooth sailing and Rex told me they’d be fine without me.” They start laughing
and say, “Yeah, things were not fine. Rex had to help them cook for a couple
of hours, food took forever, a lot of it was wrong, plus we ran out of
everything.” AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love it! I can’t wait to ask Rex how he liked
cooking but I still have yet to see him this week. He probably needed a
vacation after it was all over.
I
was expecting a mild day. I figured pretty much the whole town took their
mothers out, with the rest of the family, and it would be easy. It was
generally a light day as far as cooking goes. The thing that really pissed me
off was the two other meat heads I had to work with. Both are prepping when I
walk in so, as usual, I just walk up on line and start stocking, because I’ll
be the one who is hammering out tickets all by my lonesome. I end up cooking
the whole lunch service by myself. It was touch and go at one point but I was
able to get out of the weeds quickly. It’s what happened during that upsets me.
Dumb
and dumber take the opportunity to go fuck off outside all the while I’m
plugging away. Their first reason is because Epstein wanted to show the other
guy his new stereo system. Really? You guys have to do that now? They leave and
come back about twenty minutes later. The second reason they both just had to
go outside again is so they could take out cardboard boxes. Jesus Christ. Both
of you just have to do that and over lunch to boot? I hate you. Another twenty
minutes pass and they come in happy as hell, laughing and smiling. I get fed up
with their laziness so I tell the one to watch the line because I’m going out
to smoke. It’s only fair seeing as you dummies probably smoked five cigs a
piece since I arrived and I had yet to be even offered a chance.
He
says that’s fine. I wasn’t asking you, I was telling you. I don’t give a shit
if you think it’s acceptable or not. Then the douche Epstein needs to chime in.
This is one of the reasons I cannot stand this guy. He ALWAYS has to add his
two cents into most any conversation no matter what. He sees me talking to the
other guy and asks him what I said. He tells him and Epstein spouts off, “Yeah
that’s okay. I have no problem with you grabbing a quick smoke.” Oh my God!
Fuck you! I want to dip your face in a fryer! Just shut up!
The
reason I had such pleasant days, yesterday and Tuesday, was because I was
working with the one dude I actually like. Since we’re so short staffed, it was
just him and I. Fucking sweet! No dickheads to worry about, no unnecessary
drama, just two hard working individuals who work great as a team. Both days we
managed to get all of the prep done for both shifts and rocked the line over
lunch. It was difficult since there should be at least one more cook to help
out, though we were able to cope just fine without the extra idiots weighing us
down.
Anyways,
about the other job offer. I went in and the GM had to conduct my interview in
an odd manner. I walk in and up to the register. There is a hostess at the till
and I ask for the GM. She tells me to hang on just a moment and then disappears
into the back. The GM comes out wearing a t-shirt, apron, hairnet and cap. This
doesn’t seem like the typical apparel for an employee of his caliber. I
envisioned him in a nice shirt and tie, dress slacks/shoes, and especially no
cap. He beings to hastily ask me a few questions and after I give him my
replies, he excuses himself for a few minutes. He comes back out and continues
asking me things like pay, hours, etc. He again excuses himself. Don’t tell
me…he’s cooking! They are so screwed on labor right now that he actually has to
prepare food! I see an opportunity and get ready to capitalize on the situation. I rehearse what I specifically want in my mind. I should have excellent leverage now, but as the conversation unfolds, I realize I don't even need to push.
When
he returns, I ask, “Are you cooking?” He says, “Yeah. We are REALLY desperate
for help.” I knew they needed workers but didn’t know it was this bad. I tell
him that I can come back at a more convenient time and he declines. He asks me
flat out, “How much are they paying you over there?” I tell him what I am
making but say I am due for an evaluation really soon. He says, “I’m just going
to cut to the chase. I will pay you three dollars more per hour over that to
start. If you do well, I will bump you up another dollar after a two week probation
period. Does that sound okay with you?” Holy shit! Yeah that sounds just peachy to
me.
Next
he says, “You pick, days, nights, mixed…” I say, “Days preferably.” He says,
“No problem. How about a set schedule of six to two every day you work?” Hell
yeah, this is going way better than I was expecting. I agree with an
enthusiastic, “Absolutely!” He goes on to say that the company now offers full
medical after ninety days with fifty percent contribution. WTF!? Am I dreaming?
I feel like I need to ram my head into the counter to check. I tell him that I
would be very interested in that but we’ll see down the road as I’m still only
considering this as short-term employment. He says, “Not a problem at all. Even if
you just want to stay over the summer, that would be great. We can discuss
further details at that time if everything works out.” God damn, I just want to
give him a big hug.
I
tell him that everything sounds fantastic though would like a few days to think
it over if that’s okay with him. He says that would be fine and to call him by
Thursday night if I have made a decision. He then gives me his cell number,
shakes my hand, says he’s looking forward to hearing from me, and disappears
into the back. I walk out the door with a huge smile on my face.
I
am going to take the job. I can’t pass up that offer. Like I said in my last
post, it’s just switching over from one job I hate to another. The thing is
though, it’s going to suck even worse than I have it now. I’m going into my
current work in a bit to break the news to Gary and am completely thrilled to be able to kick them while they're down. They can suck it. This is sweet revenge, especially with the three day notice I'm going to give them. I guess
they’ll have to hire yet another cook after all, so that's five in total all the while entering into the crazy summer season. The look on his face should be priceless. I can't wait!
To alleviate yet another of
many long-winded posts, I’ll just end this here and make another one likely later
on tonight as I have it off. I’ll let you all know what they said and explain in a bit more
detail the hell I will be walking into in the other restaurant. Until then, in
another day in the life of a line cook.
No comments:
Post a Comment