So, I roll into my most recent restaurant of past today to pick up my last pay check before heading out on my morning adventure in a neighboring city. The place is barren. I walk up to the front till and wait for about five minutes before someone finally notices me. I don't really give a crap as I'm in no hurry. Hmmm, I bet customers love waiting around to pay their bill.
So, I'm finally spotted and it's a veteran waitress and she approaches me with open arms. I begin to smile from ear to ear as she gives me a big hug. She says she never got to say goodbye to me. I told her how much I enjoyed working with her again and she to me vice versa; the usual sappy stuff. As we are talking another server come over and says, "So is your vacation done yet?" I just smirked and replied, "Nope, not yet. It's more of one of those permanent deals." She grimaces and says back, "Yeah I know but I was hoping you had changed your mind. We already miss you soooooo much. Jenny talks about how she misses you every day." I say, "I feel the same way. I'm really going to miss some of you too."
This is one of the examples of what I wrote before about the positive things that come from working in a restaurant. The people you meet and work with can be so amazing. I'm going to miss some of them for sure. There are always some, no matter where you go.
What a nice moment with a couple of the people I've had the absolute pleasure working with...and then the assistant GM appears from the back. The storm clouds begin to hover overhead and there is gloom in the air. The girls wish me luck and scatter. Thanks for ruining our moment jerk, which is astoundingly apparent just by your presence.
I'm really not exactly sure what it is about this guy, but I just, in no uncertain terms, do not care for him one bit. He's always been really nice to me and was never hesitant to kiss my ass, so to speak. I think we've all met this type of person at some point before. I find it disgusting because I know that he's probably not sincere in even the most miniscule way. He's so God damn fake that it makes me sick. He's the type of person who I can see immediately turning around and talking shit behind another's back, just for the sake of doing it. In his mind, he thinks he's better than everyone else when it's so incredibly the opposite in reality, it's just that he's too stupid and/or close-minded to comprehend it. Anyways, I can't fucking stand him. I think he knows it too, but whatever.
He's all like, "Hey buddy! Great to see you again!" I reciprocate with, "Hey, good to see you too." I hand him my shirts and aprons and say, "Two shirts, two aprons. That's all I received when I started." He says, "Oh, okay.", as he grabs and places them behind the counter. He tries to spark some conversation and I shoot him down every chance. I just want my check, not to chit-chat with a scumbag. He says, "So, did you move yet?" I just replied, "Nope." He goes on to ask, "Did you start your new job yet?" I say, "Not yet." He inquires, "So where are you going to be working?" Jesus dude, if I refused to tell you this information when I was still working here, what makes you think I'm going to now? I plainly state, "I'd rather not say." He gets all defensive with, "Wow! I was just asking. I guess it's none of MY business." Ahahahaha! You finally get it dick head. I reply, "Well, it really isn't."
Now, here's where things seem to go south. He volunteers to tell me some important information, at least he thinks so, plus he must have been upset now or something. He says, "Well, about Labor Day weekend. You can't work because you're not allowed to ever work here again." Oh my God, you are such a tool. I, once again, simply can't believe this is going to take place. This dummy has me irritated now. I laugh in disbelief, as I wasn't expecting anything like that to come out of his mouth all of a sudden. I spit back, "Good! Now I know I never have to help carry a failing business again. And what made you think I wanted to work Labor Day after the first twenty time I told you NO after you kept badgering me?" He just smiles and says, "You have yourself a good day." and begins to walk past me out the door.
Holy shit. My mind raced with two possible outcomes. I could pound this sub-human until I achieved personal euphoria after he went outside, or I could do what I came here to do. Yeah, I know I tend to fantasize about punishing these creatures physically all the time, but I doubt there is anyone else out there that wouldn't also succumb to these temptations from time to time. I say to him, "Hey! I'm here for my check!" He stops, turns around and begins to waddle back to the counter. He hands me my check with a, "Here you go, sir!" all smug and uppity. I look it over to make sure they didn't try to screw me with some bullshit excuse, sign the sheet, turn and leave.
I catch myself sitting in my vehicle waiting for him to come out. Damn I want a piece of this guy so bad but I know deep down that I wouldn't do anything anyways. Maybe ten years ago. We all have these thoughts, don't try to tell me you all don't. I leave and am officially done with that establishment in all aspects.
By the time I get onto the interstate it's gone from my mind. I travel to do my business for the day and return home in a fantastic mood. I walk in and start to play with my doggies and that only accelerates my happiness. The phone rings and I see on the caller ID, that dreadful restaurant's name and number. Seriously! What the fuck do they want now!? I am terminating this relationship forever and answer the phone thinking it's the assistant GM. It's the actual GM.
He says, "(my name)?" I reply, "Yup. What now!? Was there a grease stain on one of my shirts?!" I mean, I washed those garments and even added fabric softener, then folded them neatly rather than just slopping them back to the place; blah, anyways...He says, "No no no. I just wanted to apologize for what (assistant GM) said to you. He was way out of line and if you'd still like to work Labor Day weekend that would be fine." OH MY GOD!!! THIS CAN NOT BE HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!! That's what was going through my head at the moment.
Have any of you ever been at that point where you just kind of sigh to yourself and give up because you can't fathom what or why the hell something is happening? Yeah, well...ugh! It's just so ridiculous. I tell the GM, "I appreciate you calling to apologize on behalf of that fuck stick (you bet your ass I said that), but I never wanted to or even remotely intended to work on Labor Day weekend. I have another job and I won't even be living here anymore. I've told him that a billion times before my last day. Had you asked, I would have told you the same thing."
He tries acting surprised and says, "Alright. That's fine. From what he explained to me, I thought you wanted to work but it's policy to not allow any high level employees back after they quit. I still have you on payroll so I wanted to let you know you could work if you wanted to." I said, "Thank you. Believe me, it's nothing personal between YOU and I, it just isn't going to happen. Let's make it official with your policy and take me off payroll effective immediately." I wasn't trying to be a jerk to him, just wanted to make sure with 100% accuracy that I clearly stated this is over.
He said, "No problem. I can do that before I leave tonight. I just wanted to cover all my bases and check with you first." I said, "I understand (fuck, not really) and thanks." He genuinely wishes me the best of luck and I return the gesture sincerely. The call ends it's finally over; or is it? As I sit here writing this, I still truly wonder.
Christy! Thank you once again for the question. I will admit that I don't really care to get into those specific details and I probably shouldn't have posted that information to begin with. I was having a really bad night, we all do once in a while, and I let it fly. It's out there, so I'll leave it and try to give you an acceptable answer.
She will be fine, trust me. Family is number one no matter what and if I didn't feel my own Mother would be anything but perfect, I wouldn't be leaving. I came back per her request, and believe me, she is such a stubborn and strong woman that it took likely everything for her to ask me. Without going too much into the situation, she has been to specialists for her injury and there are quite promising solutions to alleviate most of her ailments. She is self-sufficient in income easily for the rest of her life, and five more lifetimes if necessary, and doesn't rely on me for anything like that. Her injury incapacitated her initially but not fully. She has demonstrated considerable progress and she's on her way to full recovery. Not to be short or rude, but I hope you understand. I honestly enjoy your questions, so keep asking! I'll always answer what I feel comfortable doing so, therefore, please don't feel disheartened by this response. ;)
Onward. My project is coming together nicely. Every little setback I've incurred results in other things moving forward with even greater progress. Each obstacle has resulted in much better solutions and in multiple areas. Like I posted before, I don't want to throw everything out just yet, perhaps after I've had success for a month or so, or even failure if it comes to that. It's so much happening in such a short period of time. I was looking through my phone tonight at the saved pictures, and it dawned on me that the very first time I even minutely considered this proposition was on July 29th; less than a month ago. Since, I have been going full steam ahead and only finished working in the 9th circle of hell less than two weeks ago. I have officially given myself tomorrow off. I'm not doing anything I don't absolutely need to. =)
Anyways, novel again. See you all next time in another day in the life of a line cook (at heart).
Wow, your last place of employment was chock full o' specialness. :) "If you want to work Labor Day weekend...." HA HA HA HA
ReplyDeleteI totally understand not wanting to share a lot of personal details about your mother's situation. Thanks for sharing what you did.
Oh, and I had started kind of a long, rambling response to your Q&A post (hadn't decided if it was going to be a public comment or just an email to you) but realized I was babbling and decided to spare you ;)
Enjoy your day off!
-Christy
Specialness; I like that term and it's quite fitting. I may steal that at some point! =)
DeleteIf you ever get an itch to email it, please don't hesitate. I always enjoy reading what's on your mind. I am the king of babbling so no worries there. Other than what I'm able to reminisce, I am basically out of material.
Have a great day!