Saturday, August 17, 2013

Event horizon; no turning back now.

I have about 4 posts saved in drafts as of tonight. I'm not sure I feel comfortable releasing these stories just yet as I'm not quite out of the last company I worked for. I officially terminated my employment as allowed by state law, though they have the right to keep me as an "employee" for an allotted amount of time thereafter; and that time hasn't expired yet.

The policies I signed are not yet "void" as they put it. I think they're full of shit and the "at will" laws are fairly plain and simple, but I won't push my luck.

Anyways, I can still talk shit as much as I like and voice my opinion. This is how fucked up the assistant GM is. Oh my Lord, he's just so...I'm not even sure how to explain it.

When I originally put in my notice of resignation, the assistant GM (yup, not going back to look for his made up name anymore) was very concerned if I'd be able to help on Labor Day weekend. Yes, Labor Day weekend...My last day was the first week of August, though he wanted to know if I'd be available to work on Labor Day weekend. Is this odd to anyone else?

I asked him, "Do you know when Labor Day weekend is?" He said, "Yeah, I think it's the first weekend in September." Durrrr is what I was thinking. I then said, "Well, I will have a new job by then, so..." This dude, not kidding, told me to ask my interviewer/new employer if I could have Labor Day weekend off so I could work at the restaurant. SERIOUSLY!!! HE SAID THAT TO ME!!! THE ASSISTANT GM OF A VERY POPULAR CORPORATE FRANCHISE RESTAURANT SAID THAT TO ME!!!

I told him, "If I have the weekend off, that means I'm working the week and it's a holiday." He's all like, "Great! You can work here then!" I actually had to explain to him what most normal people are thinking right now, and he still didn't understand.

I'm still not sure if it's pure, and I mean the purest of stupidity, or just selfish. The best part was when he kept checking back with me daily to see if I would work it. During my final days I flat out told him, "I now have a new job in another city. That means I will not be living here and will not be working on Labor Day." I'm still not sure he if he ever "got" it.

My last "week" at the establishment, the GM had Saturday, Sunday off; worked Monday, Tuesday; and then had Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday off again. The thing is, is that he always has at least 2 weekends off per month since I've been there. I've never had even one, and when I wanted a Sunday off, he wasn't happy about it, so I had to take a Saturday instead. I didn't have to, but conceded to it, and then the July 4th verbal massacre happened.

My last day working there, within hours of leaving, the assistant GM called my home phone. I seen the caller ID and let the machine pick it up. He was asking me about working the next week for a few days...I just don't get it.

Anyways, I would like to do a Q & A next post. Ask me a question in a comment and I'll do my best to answer it, so long as it isn't too personal. Anything about anything I have posted so far, and even more in-depth if we stay on a decent level. I would like public comments, like my favorite, Christy! She has the courage to at least post her name, even though she's still anonymous. I promise not to add any comments from my blog email, as I never have. I wish you all would post in comments here instead of emailing them to me, though I appreciate each and every one I receive, just the same.

Q & A, hopefully, in another day in the life of a line cook.

1 comment:

  1. I went not-so-anonymous on my last comment, on your redacted post :) I do love the shout-outs though and I'm glad you like my comments. I love reading your blog; it makes me feel like "Finally! Somebody else who sees all the stupid!"
    Anyway, I might have more questions, but this is what I have off the top of my head:
    Why the name Beefcake? Is there a story there or did you just pick it because it sounds both macho and cooking-related? ;)
    I think you said at one point that you'd probably reveal the names of the restaurants you've been talking about. I want to take a guess though, is this last one a Denny's or Perkins?
    So what's this new opportunity you have coming up? I hope you keep up with the blog. Either sharing more restaurant stories from the past, or current non-restaurant stories, I enjoy reading your thoughts!
    -Christy

    ReplyDelete