Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Happy endings are worth every bit of crappy beginnings.

What a day I had at work today. I was in a foul mood due to the fact that I knew I would be working with a newer guy. He is about as cool as they come personality wise, though job related, meh, not so much. To top it off it was only him and myself to hold down what would likely be a scene straight out of a horror movie. The nice thing is that I would enjoy working with him in general over another that I dislike plus they suck overall. Eh, how bad could it have been you ask? Well let me tell you.

It started out typical. I roll in and start doing my normal routine, behind per usual because the graveyard shift cook can't be bothered to do anything extra. I'll give you an example. One day last week he met me as I was walking up on line. He told me what a slow night it had been so the place should be ready for the day. He said I didn't have to stock anything except maybe cut some fresh peppers. I just smiled, all the while thinking, "Yeah right you dumbass. I already know what to expect." He heads out as his gruesome shift is now over.

At least that's how the two overnighters act. Like they were SOOOOO busy, when I can just meander over to the nearest computer and easily pull up their hour counts. Wow! You had a grand total of TWENTY-SIX people from midnight to when I arrived. That's four point three, repeating of course, people per hour on average! ARGGG! The madness! Holy crap man! I thought I was stressed out but apparently I'm just being a baby. One time he even asked me for a cig when I got there because he ran out a couple of hours ago. Shit, if I bring in two for the shift, I still don't run out. Blarg. Again with the ramblings.

So anyways. He is insistent that I don't need anything and jets. I, of course, don't buy that shit for a second. I was just polite enough to not say anything or check while he was still around. I open the very first refrigerated drawer. Hmmm, I work mornings, at a franchise restaurant known for its breakfast, and there are four eggs on line total. Yeah that should last me until I get off for the day. In that same drawer, ah, never mind, you get the picture. Everything is stocked and I'm good to go with four fucking eggs, four, did I type that correctly; FOUR! I can't begin to fathom what is wrong with these people, I just can't. And there is no bacon. I'm not sure what people think other people eat for breakfast at a popular franchise restaurant, again known for its delicious breakfast, but apparently it's not eggs and bacon.

The kicker of our conversation was when he told me, didn't ask me, told me, to change a deep fryer because he didn't think I'd be busy. This guy reminds me of Epstein from the other joint. No one tells me to do anything, because frankly, they don't have to. I do something because it needs to get done. And thank you for letting me know that I won't have any customers from about five minutes from now until I leave for the day. I wish I was clairvoyant too.

God damn Epstein, and now I've had the displeasure of meeting two, or they must be brothers or at least related. Ugh. I don't know. Imagine you go into your job and, of course there has to be some worthless piece of garbage that doesn't do shit, and they give you commands like some kind of higher up, when in fact, they are quite lesser than you in every imaginable way, all the while you know they don't do jack, but somehow believe in their feeble mind that they do. How would that make you feel? Pretty damn mad and downright disturbed at how dumb they are, no?

Anyways! =) So I go about my business as normal; stocking and cooking until the GM shows up for the day. He gets there and we do our normal "Hello" and yada yada. He informs me that the dishwasher just called in sick. Damn it, I don't mind doing dishes per say, but now we have to compensate for a body. Ugh, what's next? Well, five minutes later, what's next happened! The prep cook was also feeling under the weather, so yes, now we're down two bodies for the day. Oh my God! I was so down as I just gave up at that point. Why bother, nothing (and no one) ever works anyways. I go on with my routine only concerned with what is directly in front of me, simply depressed.

An hour or so later, Roy come trotting onto the line, but he's not in his shirt and tie anymore; he's now wearing a company logoed t-shirt. Well, this may get interesting. He asks me if I want to cook or prep. "Um, why?" I inquire. He says, "It's your call. I'm putting Jake (I don't know, let's call the other cook Jake) on dishes and either you or I can prep." Well this isn't a tough decision and I choose, "Prep." He tells me to go ahead and start and I happily do.

I make sure to keep an eye on him every now and again just to make sure he's okay. He was kicking major ass, I was really impressed. He must have finally put on his big boy pants because he was really tearing shit up. Several times I would just walk over and start helping him because there were a lot of tickets, and he would tell me, "I'm okay. I got this, don't worry I'll let you know if I need help." It was only one time that he actually took my help and I didn't even make him ask. If I see a co-worker in trouble I don't say some dumb shit like, "Hey! Do you need some help?" (Derp Derp) I just go over and help. It's easier on the ego. Buy yeah, he did fucking fantastic today. I'm now going to begrudgingly throw him a bit more respect, eh, we'll see, probably not as he'll ruin it somehow, and most likely in the immediate future.

I'm in absolute heaven in the prep area. I mean, there is a ton of stuff to do but the only real pressure you have is what you place on yourself; most of it being if you'll have enough time to get all of this shit done before the dreaded breakfast and lunch rushes hit. I just did it in simple stages. It was cake for the most part and this was the very first time I've done it in over five years now in this cesspool. God, I was loving it! The best part was I had so much more done than the other morons by the time my shift ended. Well I did stay a little late though didn't mind one bit. It was like having a day off to me. So stress free, (compared to the alternate) and another positive aspect is that you have a shitload of stuff to do concurrently that your mind never numbs for a single second. You always have something that needs to be done so it never gets dull. There are still time constraints but they are easily manageable if you aren't really retarded.

The reactions I received from a few girls out front were hilarious. One came back and exclaimed, "Oh! You are here! I seen your name scheduled on the computer and seen Roy cooking and thought, Oh shit!" I laughed and said, "Nah, I wouldn't do that. Maybe next week.", and I winked. We both chuckled and went on our ways.

Another server approached me somewhat cautiously and said, "I can't believe Roy is making you do this. You should be up there instead of him." I replied, "He can be my guest." She went on to ask, "Wouldn't you rather be up there than back here?" I told her smiling, "That's an easy answer..." as she suggested I would likely prefer to be cooking and I went on to say, "No way! I feel bad for actually getting paid back here. It's fairly easy going." She is blown away by that comment and retorts, "Really?! You have so much to do and everything at once." I just said that I preferred this. At least I get to take a damn drink of water if I want, or actually think about it, without having to worry that I'm on the brink of destruction. I guess they really can't understand how much shitter that is over this blissful tranquility. No one could unless they did both, I suppose.

Onward. He gets the assistant GM to come in and help him for three hours, over the most substantial times in the day. I even comment to my co-cook who is not minding dishes one bit, "It's odd how the two front of the house managers are cooking and how the cooks are prepping and dishwashing." Seemed strange but who cares? I'm loving it.

At one point I'm in such a good state of mind that I decide to fuck with Roy a bit, all in good fun. Well, I had another motive, but it was still just a joke. I walk up on line and ask him politely, "Hey. Could I have your keys to the back door? The lobby is full and I don't want to try to plow through all of those people." He's a bit scorned and says, "Yeah, it would be just like the girls to not let me know that we have a full lobby!" He is aggravated now and digging in his pocket. He starts fidgeting with the key ring and says, "It's either this key or this one that opens it.", and he passes the bundle off to me. I ever so innocently state, "Oh, Roy, I was just fucking with you and only wanted your keys to the door." I had such a lovely grin on my face at this moment. He actually laughs and says, "You dick. Make sure you lock it when you come back in." I think he's actually relieved they were not about to get curbed stomped with orders. Hmm, it's hard to discern. As I'm about to turn the corner off the line he yells out, "And leave my car alone!" Well now, I will at some point wish I had taken it and slammed it into the side of the building, but nah, not today.

I actually leave for the day in a GREAT mood. I can't believe it. I thought it would never be possible from the lowly depths of this hell I have become accustomed to. I'm thankful I was allowed a taste of the good life (as far as this soul-draining place goes) if even for just today. It's amazing what switching from one job to another, though similar in concept, can be like. That brings me to my other posts where I wanted to write a bit more about the whining prep cooks having it so much worse than a line cook. This has already gotten too long (who would have thought?) so I'll get on that next post.

As I wrote about before, this conflict has always been an issue. The one guy I had the pleasure of pulling up on line with me for a bit certainly changed his mind thereafter. There was another that was literally scared to progress after his initiation day and never wanted part of that again. If I focus and concentrate really hard, I'll post that story next time, in another day in the life of a line cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment