Sunday, July 28, 2013

How two weeks can feel like an eternity. Part I.

Well, worked sucked especially hard today. It was just so busy I can't even try to explain. The number of customers keep reaching new heights per hour, and for longer lengths of time too. It's just unbelievable how many people we serve each morning and afternoon shift. The evening numbers have risen also, but thankfully I'm not around for that slaughter. Plus the exuberant menu additions and allowed substitutions and general pickiness of the public makes it mostly unbearable. It was a God damn nightmare in no easier terms.

We had our first "somewhat" of a psychological breakdown today from a fellow cook. It was only a matter of time before someone snapped. At one point he screamed, "Why the fuck do they keep seating people!" I silently agreed within my own mind, but knew all too well why. The management doesn't give a shit if it literally kills us, or even if people aren't perfectly happy with their dining experience. They only see the $$$ signs, and that's the absolute truth no matter what anyone says otherwise. Everything comes there after.

He had a very good point though. The restaurant seats approximately TWO-HUNDRED and FORTY people. We were getting our asses handed to us, terribly, and they just kept seating customers. At several times each side had an easy sixty menu count items to make, sometimes more. The ticket flows never stopped. At many places, smart ones anyways, there will be a limit to how many people can get a table. If the kitchen is backed up, they won't seat any more customers until the kitchen gets back on its feet. Not here. Both sides of the kitchen were choking so viciously today that we never had a chance to get back on our feet; it was just impossible. We were kept at a solid maximum capacity for a solid eight hours. Ticket times were atrocious. Had we had even five minutes to regroup, everything would have went unbelievably better. But nope, push them in and out as fast as possible to get the $$$. Who cares if they had to wait or are upset, we got the $$$ and that's all that counts.

This poor soul of a co-worker became broken, and he was on my side cooking with me. He just starts randomly blabbing, aka freaking out, and didn't give a shit who was in listening distance. It wasn't anything new to me, as I've seen it before. I let him vent and slam things around and just kind of listened. When he appeared that he was finished, I told him, "It's okay man. We all feel like this most of the time. Go sit down on the curb, take your time, and enjoy a cigarette. Let your head clear. I've got this no problem." It was either that or watch him implode and leave forever. He honestly didn't want to because he knew full well that I was full of shit when I said, "I've got this no problem" but his brain was boiling over and he had to concede to my offer. He got really quiet like he felt bad for having to step away for a few minutes, and I'm sure he did, but damn, it gets to you sometimes, and in a really bad way. I could see this dude had met the point and thought I'd give him a quick solace. He finally took it after apologizing ten or so times and walked off the line.

He came back! Woohoo! And was in a much better place mentally. We proceeded to get pounded until after an hour past my scheduled time to leave. It was simply brutal and never ending.

On a happy note, I have a set day of resignation. I have blessedly come into an opportunity of which I won't yet mention, though am very exited about. Any exit from this realm of crap is positive, and this an excellent situation. I am traveling tomorrow to meet and discuss specifics of said circumstance and have the utmost confidence things will go my way. If things work out, this will be my final career path, and most importantly, I will love what I will do.

Let's regress back to my notice of self termination though. I thought it was disgusting and a bit humorous at the same time. There's a lot to the back story, though I'll just describe what I told the assistant GM whilst we were cooking away together the other fine morning. Well, a pertinent point is that the KM put in his notice the day earlier.

The morning is going normally bad and the assistant GM is scheduled to cook. When he gets there, he immediately comes up and opens the other side. This is quite odd as generally he'd try to do everything but, however not today. He opens the other side and says, "Turn your printer off and go have a smoke." WTF is going on here, wait a second, I know. They aren't sure if I'm aware that the KM set a date for departure or not. Well, I sure as hell do because we're friends, but I'm just going to act like normal with nothing out of the ordinary happening. I get ready to head off line and he stops me suddenly. He says, "Oh, I'm not sure if the back door is open, hang on.", he views that it is and continues, "Yeah the alarm is off so it must not be locked." I sander out the back and enjoy the morning breeze with my self-inflicted lung pollution.

I come back and things proceed into the norm. We both are cooking tickets and having small, basic chit-chat from across the line. He won't say anything, which I think is a very professional move on his part. It's none of my business what happens between employees and management, so that's great that he won't bust and spill the beans. I get sick of the charade and throw my fishing pole line out with a little bait attached. I boldly say, "I can't believe (KM) is going on vacation for ten whole days! Geeze, that sucks, I don't know if I'm going to make it." He smiles and says, "Yeah, but we'll get through it no problem. Me and Roy will be available so no worries." Okay, that's all I'm going to cast into the water. I'll just sit and wait for a nibble. Yup, you betcha I got more than just a nibble; I got a big bite. Hook, line and sinker. Damn I hate being cliché but it couldn't be more true.

The assistant GM 'casually' asks me, "So what would you do if (KM) ever decided to quit?" AHAHAHA, yeah I got you now sucker. I reply, "I don't know. I think about quitting everyday so I'd probably quit too. I'm not here for much longer anyways." He counters with, "Really? Why? That would mean you have an opportunity to move up." That really disturbed me. Firstly because they should know by now, especially with how unequivocally pronounced I've been, that I will never have nor allow myself a future here. Second of all, refer to my first point.

I inquire, "You mean take over the kitchen?" He says, "Yeah, you'd be an easy choice if that ever happened." I know my shit and would be a fantastic manager (not trying to gloat, really, I would be) but I'm an easy choice because there is no one else whatsoever. How many people verbally abuse the GM and assistant GM of a corporate restaurant semi-frequently and are rewarded for it? Yeah, none. I should have been fired weeks ago, but they can't. Not to beat around the bush I tell him, "If the job paid 100k per year, I'd still EASILY turn it down." He's blown away. Yeah, it sucks that bad buddy!

I then let him know that I'll be leaving a letter of resignation before the day is done. This guy goes into panic mode and drills me with questions, one after the other. I won't say anything other than I have a job interview that I'm sure I will get; and will accept. He possibly didn't see this coming, how I have no clue. Gahhh! I don't want to type anymore out tonight. It will likely be another twenty paragraphs. The day was so bad I am just wanting to eat and get a good night's sleep for my big day tomorrow. I hope you understand and will gladly fill in the rest of the story in a day or a few. I apologize and will see you all in another day in the life of a line cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment