Wednesday, July 24, 2013

How the mighty have fallen.

So I left work today and there was a message on my cell from one of my buddies. It said he was getting ready to take off for a couple of weeks for work. He's the one who is a private contractor and he's trying to finish up for the year, so he's taking on a ton of jobs in order to try to quit early this season. He wants to know if I'd like to go grab a bite before he leaves. I message him back that I will meet him after I get home and shower, and whatnot.

I finish with my tasks and check my phone and there are a couple of messages from him. The first one says, "Meet me here. t'.'t" I think that's kind of clever and something that basically defines his personality in a nut shell; a face and two arms holding up middle fingers. The next message was in the form of a photo. When I viewed it I was horrified. It was him sitting at a table in a restaurant. The picture had something else in it that made me realize undoubtedly where he was. Let's just say it was something like the golden arches that anyone would be able to figure out is McDonald's. Well this restaurant also has a trademark of sorts that I could never confuse; it was from my old restaurant. You're such a dick, I forget why we're friends.

I message him back a few vulgarities though concede to his 'random' choice. He's always loved the food there and fucking knows I don't really ever want to step foot inside that crap hole again, so it's a win/win for him. Why do best friends get so much satisfaction and happiness from the other's disdain? I'm not sure but it remains true when the tables are turned as well. Maybe it's just a guy thing but I also take any opportunity I can to embarrass the hell out of him too. It's just funny.

I figure, "Screw it." It's not like my boycott was going to last forever. At worst I'll have to say hi to a few people I used to work with, some of which I really liked anyways. So I just embark on the twenty minute journey into destiny.

When I pull up into the parking lot, I see a familiar face smoking outside by the front door. It was an ex co-worker of the kitchen from the not so distant past. First of all, what are the odds that the first human being I see would be him. Pretty good I suppose after how bad my day has progressed up to this point. Second of all, where the hell is that dick head that ninja stalked me last week? Why the hell doesn't he eat here? This guy is standing literally no less than two feet from the main entrance. If reincarnation is actually real, then I must have been the worst kind of being in my last life and am now atoning for my misdeeds.

I walk up and he spots me coming from the distance. He starts to smile and we do the usual greetings. The best part is what he tells me mid conversation. I ask him how the place has been treating him and he says, "Really good. I run the kitchen now." My brain slams on the mental brakes. Screeeech! Whoa, did I just hear that correctly? He's continuing on with some drivel that I'm not paying any attention to. I question him mid sentence, "Did you say that you're running the kitchen now?" He replies, "Yup!" That can mean only one thing; Gary has met an unfortunate outcome.

I blurt out, probably in a spastic demeanor, "That's great news, man! If anyone deserved it, you did! Congratulations!" I didn't really give a rat's ass that he was the new KM of this sinkhole, but did want to convey a bit of enthusiasm in order to make sure he would answer my next question. He says, "Thanks!" and is grinning from ear to ear. Before he can say another word, I strike. "So what happened to Gary?", appearing quite concerned. He states, "Unfortunately he was let go. He moved to (another state) and no one has heard from him since." I take in a large volume of fresh air and for that single moment, all is right in the universe once again. It couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy in my opinion.

For those of you that are wondering, "Who the hell is Gary?", go ahead and drift back a few months in posts. When I was working at that establishment, the mighty Gary had already invested two and a half years of his scummy bottom feeder life into the business. About a month after I began my tribulation within, he purchased a forty-thousand dollar car, I'm sure to deflect his looks and personality. Hmmmm, I wonder if he still has that sweet piece of machinery after being FIRED from his career? My satisfaction knows no bounds, truly.

I go in eventually and can hardly contain my upward mood swing. My buddy asks me why I'm so damn happy and I just tell him that I'll explain after we leave. "Drinks and the food are on me, my good friend." We have a mediocre meal and I notice that not a single other employee is familiar. Either a bunch more jumped ship or this is the new crew they managed to secure. Either way, I don't give a shit. So long as my nemesis has met, what I believed to be, his well deserved fate.

See you all in another day in the life of a line cook.

In homage to a conquered enemy I say; Good night to you, "Sweet Butter" Gary. Oh how the mighty have fallen. P.S. Suck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment