I’ve swallowed my pride before several times and requested help only to be told, “I’ll be up after I finish making the fajita marinade”. (which takes about fifteen minutes to do) Yeah, sure, take your time because I wasn’t serious buddy. I can easily wait that long, no problem. Idiot.
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Nice day for a drive.
Not a whole lot to write about today.
Went in this morning with a positive attitude as I was working with someone I
could easily get along with. He is a very likable guy and a solid cook, though
seems to be afraid of the line. He’s been there for two years and will take
every opportunity to get out of cooking, which I suppose I can’t blame him
because prep is like having a day off in this place.
So I just immediately go on line and do
the set ups. I get everything just the way I like it because I know I’ll be
cooking alone until I’m buried and it’s acceptable to call for help. It’s like
the popular fad around there is to wait until it’s too late and then try to get
caught up. It makes no sense to me, but who am I to insert my opinion yet, I’m
just the new guy still. Seems keeping a steady pace throughout the service
would be a rational plane of thought, you know, so the food goes out perfectly
and quickly and the customers are happy. But nah, we’ll just wait until that’s
not possible anymore, then go into panic mode and slop it out as quickly as we
can. Sigh.
I’ve swallowed my pride before several times and requested help only to be told, “I’ll be up after I finish making the fajita marinade”. (which takes about fifteen minutes to do) Yeah, sure, take your time because I wasn’t serious buddy. I can easily wait that long, no problem. Idiot.
I’ve also been told, “I’ll help after
you reach ten tickets”. Wow, thank you kindly co-worker! The first three orders
are two tables of six and one of nine, but I see your point. It’s not about how
many dishes I am trying to prepare concurrently, it’s all about how many tickets
there are overall. Brilliant!
It also certainly doesn’t help that the
line is twenty-five feet long and for one order you sometimes need to do laps.
After the lunch service is over I go
back to re-stocking and pull some prep items on to the line for me to do while cooking
tickets off and on. It’s efficient I think as I can kill two birds with one
stone rather than walk to the prep area, start something only to be
interrupted, go cook an order or two, go back to the prep area and begin, then
get called back to cook…you get it, it’s a vicious circle. This way I can help
prep while staying in the vicinity to cook. I’m the only person who has figured
out this super-duper complex strategy. Blah, I’m rambling again.
Anyways, as I’m doing the previously
mentioned, the kitchen manager comes in. He’s carrying some food items. I
inquire about said items and he tells me he had to run to another city to pick
up some menu components because we ran out. I was blown away. Last week he
couldn’t even run to a supermarket or borrow from another restaurant but today
he decides to drive two hundred miles round trip for a few things. I’m
literally baffled until I realize he was actually supposed to be working on
service today. Ah, now it’s becoming clear. He didn’t want to so instead he
took a leisurely stroll to another city rather than, you know, work at the
restaurant where we could have used him. Wow, these people are crafty!
I shrug it off best I can. I’m leaving a
five p.m. so whatever. He leaves for the day because his shift is now over,
poor guy, what a stressful day. I get bombed with orders from two p.m. to four
p.m., so I don’t really have time to do much else other than what is necessary
to get ready for the evening service. Unlike that guy in my other post, I
actually make sure the night shift is ready to go, even if I’m not working that
night. Weird, huh?
I finish up just before five when a
front manager approaches me while she’s talking on her phone. She asks me if I
could stay another four hours. I flat out tell her “Nope”. I’ll get to why in
the proceeding paragraphs. She says, “He said no”, into her phone. I can see
her grimace and she walks away without another word. When she strolls back
through the kitchen, I ask her why she needs someone to stay. She tells me a
cook called in sick. It was the kitchen manager on the phone looking for me to
work because if I wouldn’t, he’d have to. I look away and continue on doing
what I was doing before, all the while smiling inside.
Here’s the thing. Last week, everyone
had their hours cut, and mine were shaved down to being borderline pathetic. I
made it a point to speak to the kitchen manager about it and he told me that’s
just how it was. They need to cut labor cost. I explained to him our
conversation on my first day of work where he assured me I would receive at
least forty hours per week, and probably more. He said things changed and that
was final. Great! So I was again told another lie. Wow, I can see myself having
an excellent future here.
This is the number one reason I said I
wouldn’t work. When I ask about meager hours, I’m met with a “sorry, can’t do
anything about it” attitude. It’s amusing how that pans out. When I want my guaranteed
hours, it’s too bad. When they need someone to work on a moment’s notice, they
expect it. I wait for the kitchen manager show up to cover this shift,
imagining a confrontation; actually expecting it.
He comes in and walks past me. Doesn’t
say anything until I start to tell him how I managed to get all of the night
shift service work in order. He nods and asks me when I want to leave. I said
I’m almost finished and tell him to let me know if there’s anything he needs
before I go. He says flat out, “You were just complaining to me that you
weren’t getting enough hours this week, but now you don’t want to work longer
tonight”? I knew that was coming at some point. I told him I came to terms with
only having this little of hours earlier in the week when I was told how it was
going to be, so I made plans accordingly. This guy then says to me, “And you
can’t break these important plans”? I said, “I suppose I could, but I don’t want
to with fifteen minutes left on my scheduled shift. I’m sure you can
understand”. He says back, “Yeah, I get it. Finish up what you’re doing here
and have a good night”, as he walks away. Holy crap! I wasn’t expecting that at
all. For once I won’t be leaving pissed off. I’m going to have to speak my mind
more often from here on out. As I stated before, I’m new so I feel it’s too
early to rock the boat. Maybe not after all.
I’ll have to wait and see how this
episode affects my schedule next week. I’m thinking I’ll have way more hours
than this week, but who knows. I’m VERY confident that the establishment is not
prepared to let me go with all of the progress I’ve made and in such a short
time. Oh yeah, another cook quit a couple days ago after he seen the new and
improved schedule. So that might have something to do with my job being quite
secure.
I always mean to write about stories of
my past but the day-to-day of this seems to trump. Next post I’ll really try to
concentrate on some doozies rather than just the daily drama. I’ll wait and see
how the next day in the life of a fry cook goes.
I’ve swallowed my pride before several times and requested help only to be told, “I’ll be up after I finish making the fajita marinade”. (which takes about fifteen minutes to do) Yeah, sure, take your time because I wasn’t serious buddy. I can easily wait that long, no problem. Idiot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment