Well, for some reason I am not able to
get much sleep tonight so I figured I’d write something for all of you fans out
there, all zero of you, so far.
Something that has always plagued me
throughout my line cooking career is cleanliness. I have worked with absolutely
disgusting pigs everywhere I’ve been. Now out of a minimum habit, you should
always keep your designated station as clean as possible and I don’t even think
I have to explain why. I will anyways, we are preparing food. There, I said it.
The first thing I do when I arrive and get
a chance is clean the section I’m going to be working in for the evening. Normally
because it’s still destroyed from lunch and afternoon combat if I’m not
working. All through the evening service and when my shift is over, it looks
the exact same; immaculate, not like some feces-filled tornado ran rampant over
the last six hours.
And, at least wash your damn hands when
you get a chance or after you get done smoking or coming out of the bathroom,
for Christ’s sake.
Sure enough, I witnessed a fellow cook
coming out of the employee bathroom tonight wiping his hands on his apron. Yes,
you read that correctly. He didn’t even take off his apron before he went to do
his business. And from the time it took him to leave his section and return to
the line, I would say he was doing the big dirty. He probably wiped his ass
with the same garment.
The funny part is this guy used to be
the assistant kitchen manager before he had a meltdown and told everyone to
fuck off on his way out the door during a dinner service. This is what I was
told by some others after they rehired him a couple weeks ago, about five
months after said incident. I love this franchise’s standards more and more
every day. Tell everyone to get bent and leave over the rush and you can
apparently get hired back no problem down the road. I’ll have to remember that
for my blaze of glory. Next month, we’ll probably see the blacked out,
bloody-faced pill popper (Alex) back with a raise and promotion too.
The part that really blows me away is
that a former member of management doesn’t even know basic sanitary standards
most people use at home, let alone when they are preparing other people’s meals,
not to mention I have to touch the same equipment he does eventually. Blah. Why
don’t I say something, you ask? Because it won’t make one bit of a difference
other than get him mad at me. If he hasn’t figured this common knowledge out in
his thirty plus years on this planet, he never will.
I don’t want to work with this guy or
even care to know him. Not solely for the reasons above, but I’m sure you’ll
hear more about his wonderful personality and other habits as we move forward,
because there is no way in hell I’m going to be able to avoid whining about him
in the future. Another time perhaps? You can count on it.
Anyways…one thing that sticks out in
general, especially for me, is the situation with towels or rags or whatever
you want to call them. To begin with, they are locked up in the office. What
the hell? This is the first place I’ve worked with that tendency. I guess
people steal towels now, I shouldn’t sound surprised.
All I want is one when my shift begins.
All I need is one for the entire shift. “I” means “me”, not me and everyone
else who can physically grab it. If all you other swine want to share a
community towel, be my guest. You despicable slobs who let your section become so
filthy it would take a belt sander to properly clean it. You slop and scoop all
the crap into your rag, then disinfect it in the sani-water. Now the whole
container has chunks of crap floating in it plus it’s some odd color after your
rinse. Within an hour the bucket has a ring and film forming on it. So gross.
You savages can use that to clean your stations, but I’m not sticking my hands
or cloth into that cesspool.
To keep me happy, just follow this one
little request of mine. How hard is that? Apparently it’s impossible.
I have gone as far as telling everyone,
each person individually, that the reason I don’t want anyone touching my towel
is because of my seafood allergies, and this is a truthful part of it. I leave
out the component where I want to say, “Your abominable sanitary habits make me
fear for my well being and I honestly believe you get things dirtier with every
swipe of your polluted digits.” But I don’t to spare their feelings and blame
it on a legitimate excuse, again my allergies.
When I handle those types of items, I am
extra careful. I wear gloves and use a separate knife and always slice it
exactly where I know, so I can clean that area specifically a certain way to
prevent me breaking out in painful, itchy hives for the whole damn shift. DON’T
TOUCH MY RAG! So simple you would think. Yeah, I know, boohoo me. But after
decades of this happening in every place you worked at, I think you’d feel the
same way given the same circumstances and for the love of God, how simple and
mundane the proposition is.
I even had one idiot the other day, walk
over to my area, drop a piece of fish, use my non-seafood knife, all the while
taking croutons from my container because he ran out in his area. When he
turned to go back, I was just staring at him. He stopped, met my gaze and said,
“Oh yeah, I just had some fish here so be careful.” He then, before I could
react, grabs my towel with his fishy hands and wipes up the fish juice. Fuck!
Thanks a lot dick!
Tonight is no different. I manage to
keep my rag free of harm for the whole night. First time ever in this
establishment and it’s a huge accomplishment. I just started putting it on a
small ledge I noticed behind some bread away from common view. It worked great.
So, I’m done on line and go out front to do my clean ups. I make the horrific
mistake of placing my towel in the prep area for maybe five minutes while I
change a garbage liner and restock our spitfire cooler, again out front. I come
back and sure as shit, my towel is no longer there.
I’m tired of this crap so I say out
loud, though to myself, “I just can’t keep a fucking rag around here.” Another
cook overhears me and asks what I said. I told him I put my towel down right
here and now it’s gone and I need it to clean the spitfire area. He says, “Oh,
here it is. I just seen it laying there.”, and he reaches out to hand it to me.
This thing was white as could be not minutes ago. Now it is brown and black
with bits of shit speckled throughout. Thanks douche; I really want to touch
that now. And how the fuck did you get it that stained and dirty so quick!?
Yeah, I know, wah-wah, and I should
probably be renamed the towel Nazi, but if you could only walk a mile in my
shoes over the years, it gets to be infuriating because it’s such a simple request.
Ugh. I…give…up.
Well that’s my towel rant and now I’m
tired again so I’m going back to bed. Farewell, until we meet again, in another
day in the life of a line cook.
No comments:
Post a Comment